How We Make Chocolate
At Patric, we search the world for cocoa beans with the best flavor and choose organic whenever possible. We pay at least Fair Trade, though often much higher prices.
Once the cocoa beans have arrived, over the course of several weeks we process cocoa beans into some of the best chocolate in the world. In our meticulous process we:
- Hand-sort the cocoa beans to remove impurities
- Slow roast the cocoa beans to develop the most delectable and intriguing tastes and aromas imaginable
- Winnow the cocoa to remove shell, which is then recycled as mulch in local gardens
- Grind the resulting cocoa “nibs”
- Add select ingredients
- Grind some more
- Conche (24 hours per day for several days straight!) to further refine and elevate the flavor and texture
- Hand-mold the chocolate into our custom Patric design
- Hand-package the bars one at a time
- Deliver the chocolate to you!
Patric Chocolate and Sustainability
At Patric Chocolate, we think of sustainability on every level, from the lives of the cocoa farmers, to the impact we make on the environment through our energy use and other choices. Below you’ll find a list of things we do with sustainability in mind:
- Farmers are always paid Fair Trade or higher prices for their cocoa beans.
- We use all certified organic cane sugar, mostly certified organic cocoa butter as we shift to all certified organic cocoa butter by the end of 2013, and a good amount of certified organic cacao with a focus on organic, even when it isn’t certified. Other ingredients that we use are also certified organic, from cinnamon to peppermint essential oil, to peanut butter and maple sugar. We are constantly trying to find organic ingredients that have the same quality of flavor, or better, and we make the change whenever we can.
- Our ingredients are Non-GMO.
- We recycle all paper, plastic, metal, and glass if it is recyclable as well as batteries.
- We donate all of our cocoa shell waste to be used as mulch in local gardens; we never discard it in landfills.
- We pay into our local solar power program to cover a portion of our electricity usage and to help grow solar and other renewable energy sources in our own backyard. We will continue to shift more of our electricity usage to renewable energy every year.
- Our packaging, in addition to reminding people to recycle, is made from 30% recycled post-consumer fiber, with the balance of fiber being certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. It is also Green-Seal certified for sustainability, and the paper is made using 100% renewable energy. Finally, the printing is done using all vegetable-based inks, and going forward, all reprints will be done using 100% renewable energy.
- We choose to use the UPS Carbon Neutral program to offset carbon dioxide produced during shipment of our chocolate. Learn more here.